Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Of masquerades and one cloaked in shadow

Happy October, my lovelies! May the spooky whimsy of Halloween find you even if your country doesn't celebrate it as a whole.

This weekend there was a lovely meetup at the LACMA art museum, which is currently hosting a Tim Burton themed exhibit. Very regrettably, my online ticket order didn't go through, and I found out too late. But my sister and I got to say hello at least to a few of the other lolis, and it was sorta fun walking around the museum in our finery. It was also fun playing Spot the Tim Burton Inspired Outfits, as quite a few people had lovely gothy or at least stripey clothing on.

Not to mention I discovered I'm really, really in love with traditional Japanese art. (If you're in LA and visit the LACMA, do see the Japanese Pavilion gallery! The building's circular, with a ramp that spirals around, and opens onto platforms where you can view a few paintings on each 'floor'--the floors really look more like balconies, because you can look out past the paintings to other floors. Also the walls are made to look like Japanese sliding screens, so the light is rather soft and mysterious.)

Here are some pictures from the meetup on our group's page at Meetup.com. I don't know if non-members can view photos, but it's worth a try hopefully. 

After that, we went and explored the Halloween section of Target. I picked up a gorgeous black velvet hooded cloak (pretty good quality for a costume!), which I'll use for--among other things--my Death costume. After years of beloved but fairly obscure costumes, I want non-Sandman fans to at least be able to tell I'm some sort of Reaper. Plus I just need a cloak and scythe. You know the feeling?

My sister was absolutely entranced with the selection of masquerade masks we found at Target, and I don't blame her. Take a look at these~









Haha, I didn't realize I would be visible.


Also, I found these shoes~
 It's a bit hard to see, but they're Victorian-style! At Target!

And while we're at it, an outfit snap~


The actual shoes I wore for this coordinate are black mary-janes with a bit of a heel. I love them. And they're brand new. Sadly no pics of them, though.

Speaking of Death, the day before the ill-fated meetup I went to a thrift store and put together most of an outfit in which to emulate our favorite supernatural perkygoth in a few weeks' time.  Moar pic spam! *throws confetti*

This isn't for my costume, but it has skulls and roses on it! I approve.



I'll layer the above two skirts in some sort of hopefully awesome and Death-looking way.




This tee shirt is way too big, but as you can see it's gorgeous, so I'll remake it somehow, maybe by cutting apart and then lacing up the sides.



That's all my news for now, except that I've decided to start making accessories to sell. I'll probably start with local customers, but if you see anything you MUST have, do let me know! Seriously. (Nothing will be priced above...well certainly not over 15 US dollars, at least while I'm still starting out.)

Also, I enjoyed reading everyone's lace-themed posts for Sophistique Noir's October theme. I wanted to participate, but I was a bit low on energy when the actual day came.

6 comments:

  1. I do so adore the masks at Target, yes. I might get one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should. ;) I'm sure they'd be useful for all sorts of parties and gatherings. Or just when you need a little extra masquerade in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! Those shoes are so cute and look perfect with that outfit, love the socks! I'm envious that you have such beautiful masks readily available, they look lovely. The last one is my favourite I think. That's a shame about the lace theme, I hate when you have no energy for something you really wanna do. Just be extra prepared for next time I guess! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I know, I was pleasantly surprised by the Halloween section at Target.
    I'll try and do that! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing masks! you look wonderful with them.

    visit me too: http://cottonmachine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...